Did You Know…
There are 237,550 Sexual Assaults EVERY YEAR in the United States
Every 2 MINUTES someone in AMERICA is RAPED!
10% of RAPE VICTIMS are MALE
2 in 3 Sexual Assaults are committed by someone the victim knows
44% of victims are under the age of 18
Statistics on Sexual Violence and Vermont
- 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted or experience attempted sexual assault in her lifetime (Statistics, 2008).
- 1 in 7 men will be sexually assaulted or experience attempted sexual assault in his lifetime (Bureau of Justice, 1999)
- Of all the sexual assaults reported to the Women’s Rape Crisis Center in Vermont between July 2004 and June 2005, 84% of the victims/survivors were women and 16% were men.
- From 2001 to 2004 there were 4,131 sexual offenses (other than forcible sexual assault/violence) that were reported to Vermont Law Enforcement officials (Vermont Crime Report, 2005).
- 13% were under the age of 18
- 99% knew the perpetrator before the attack and 25% of those were family or an intimate partner (Statistics, 2008)
- In 2006, member programs of the Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence served 1,514 victims/survivors of sexual violence throughout the state; 293 were children and youth under the age of 18 (Vermont Network Statistic).